Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. To gain, usually by one's own exertions; to get as one's own.
2. A deliberate action aimed at weakening an enemy through subversion, obstruction, disruption, and/or destruction.
3. Allowing light to pass through but diffusing it
4. Having an unvarying tone or pitch
5. An individual instance that represents a class; an example.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides