Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. Characterized by affected, exaggerated, or insincere earnestness.
3. To bring under control; conquer.
4. A factor that determines a range of variations; a boundary
5. A product of disintegration, destruction, or wearing away; debris.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level