About NIE NEWS IN EDUCATION
WHAT IS NIE?
The Hartford Courant's News in Education program provides:
- practical application for skills and concepts in the school curriculum.
- information which expands and relevantly updates textbook contents.
- lessons that align with the Common Core standards for subject and grade level.
- provides electronic edition newspapers - to schools.
- offers inquiry-based curriculum materials
- helps teachers develop newspaper use for student learning in a variety of subjects and grade levels.
Teachers may order a year-long daily classroom subscription. The electronic editions are sponsored and available at NO cost
WHY USE NIE?
The newspaper offers something for everyone! It provides:
- an up-to-date resource that may be effectively integrated into existing curriculums.
- differentiated and cooperative instructional resources.
- useful information written at a variety of reading levels.
- a wide variety of subjects, to meet interests, needs and ability levels of many students.
Q & A
What Is A Classroom Subscription?
Teachers order digital classroom newspapers available for the whole school year, all week long, from August 20 - June 30. These educational electronic editions are sponsored and are NO cost.
What is an NIE special program?
Special programs are. . . Special.
Each special program is aimed at specific grade levels and/or subject areas.
Why should I use the newspaper in my classroom?
We'll let other teachers answer that one! Here's what a few teachers told us:
- "The newspaper has helped teamwork and research. It connects to everyday life and the curriculum."
- "Students look forward to a non-textbook lesson."
- "Good exposure to the happenings in the world. Very motivational."
- "It has broadened their view of reading - placing the skill in the real world."
- "Improved class discussion."
- "Great source for writing prompts."
- "Different medium and caused students to think and draw new conclusions."
NIE's purpose is to encourage. . . The use of the newspaper as an integral part of the school curriculum.