Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.
2. Belonging to the period before a war, especially the American Civil War.
3. A stock of terms used in a particular profession, subject, or style; a vocabulary:
4. To endow with the rights of citizenship, especially the right to vote.
5. Something done or paid to compensate or make amends.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level