Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Cool Web Sites
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. An individual step, or stage, in any process or scale of values.
2. Assuming power or authority without justification; arrogant and domineering
3. To overpower; to subdue; to put down.
4. Allowing light to pass through but diffusing it
5. To clarify or make something understandable