Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. Full of or exhibiting servile compliance; fawning.
3. A form of government in which the political authority exercises absolute and centralized control over all aspects of life,
4. Of, relating to, or produced by motion.
5. A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level