The Mini Page is a syndicated, four-page tabloid written for young children found each Wednesday in The Denver Post. This issue of The Mini Page is available through the eEdition Archive to registered eEdition subscribers
1. Draw a picture of a cello on a piece of paper. Now paste newspaper words and pictures related to music on your picture. Give your picture a title.
2. In the newspaper, find three events or places in your community that you would take Yo - Yo Ma if he visited you. Explain your choices.
3. In the newspaper, circle any ads or stories that show an opportunity to listen to live music. Make a list of the different kinds of music available to you.
4. How are these important to Yo - Yo Ma: (a) valuable instruments, (b) young people, (c) Bobby McFerrin and (d) classical music?
5. Explore different instruments of the orchestra on the internet. These websites introduce you to the various instrument groups, like strings, winds, brass, etc. Select an instrument you might like to play and watch the video about it. Explain why you like that instrument. You may want to do your own Internet search: www.philharmonia.co .uk/explore/instruments www.khanacademy.org/humanities/music/music - instruments - orchestra
Mini Page activities meet many state and national educational standards. Each week we identify standards that relate to The Mini Page content and offer activities that will help your students reach them.
This week's standard:
Students use biographies and stories to understand the individuals who are honored by the nation. (Social Studies: History)
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)
The last 5 lessons:
Select a lesson from 2018:
View an entire year's lesson archive