Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. A barrier constructed across a road, especially as a military defense.
2. To talk rapidly, indistinctly, or unintelligibly; to utter gibberish or nonsense.
3. An inadequate amount of something; a shortage
4. To overpower; to subdue; to put down.
5. The energy and strength for continuing to do something over a long period of time ; power of sustained exertion, or resistance to hardship, illness etc.
Colorado NIE Weekly lessons
Colorado NIE Youth Content
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level