Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Government by a few, especially by a small faction of persons or families.
2. Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
3. To seize another’s place, authority, or possession wrongfully.
4. Either of two points on the celestial sphere at which the ecliptic intersects the celestial equator.
5. Division into ordered groups or categories.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level