Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. Attended by favorable circumstances; propitious.
2. A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.
3. Playfully jocular; humorous
4. The predominant influence, as of a state, region, or group, over another or others.
5. To weaken or destroy the strength or vitality of.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level