Resources for Teachers and Students
Click on the correct answer in the quiz below.
Then see if you can find the word in your newspaper -- the print edition, the website or the digital edition and copy the sentence for context. NOTE: High School words are much harder to find!
1. An extremely distant, and thus old, celestial object whose power output is several thousand times that of our entire galaxy.
2. Having a harmful effect; injurious.
3. A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.
4. To bring under control; conquer.
5. Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
Lessons & Classroom Activities
Resources by grade level
Online Reference Guides